Bingham Girls!

Bingham Girls!

Sunday, November 28, 2010

ZAR - Brain food

I find the newspapers pretty boring; I tend to get my news from the radio in the car or at work. What I do really like is the sections of the newspaper which focus on lifestyle, people, food etc. It's great for the brief chats I have with the ZarBar patrons as well as for the blog.

This one is from a new section in the Saturday SMH and really talks the Bingham Girls talk......

The author, Paula Goodyer, wrote about children and what they eat and how it affects them.

Obesity is, as we know, becoming an enormous problem in our society. However, the food that kids eat can not only affect their weight but their brains. Studies published recently show that diets high in processed and sugary foods and drinks leads to a greater risk of emotional and behavioural problems and also doubles the risk of ADHD.

Like the rest of the body, the brain needs enough of the right nutrients to function properly. What processed foods are missing are omega-3 fats and B vitamins, crucial for brain health. These are commonly found in wholegrains, leafy greens, legumes and some fruits. Vegies and fruit also promote brain health because they are high in antioxidants, including vitamins C & E. These also help prevent inflammation which has been linked to depression.

Of course, I know first hand that the way you feel as a teenager can mean you crave foods high in fat and sugar to make you "feel better". I still battle with that, as do many others.

I'm not a parent, and I do not judge anyone and their choices, I don't have to live with them. I really think that giving your kids the gift of eating healthily is one of the best things you can do. We were given the best start we could have been with non-processed, home cooked food. We all sat around at the table to enjoy it together.

(And look at how brilliant we are now!! - jokes.....)

No comments:

Post a Comment