Bingham Girls!

Bingham Girls!

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

GEORGIE - If your'e obese - read this.

I am sure that it isn’t correct to laugh at this headline “Fat People ‘are better at sniffing out food’” but oh how I chuckled when I read this in today’s Daily Mail. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1329811/Fat-people-better-sniffing-food.html

It’s actually quite an interesting article – fatter people have a better sense of smell. Their sense of smell also improves when they are full which makes them eat more. Ok, so they make good foragers but like SOO many previous pieces of research that try to understand what makes people obese, I welcome the good intent, but this yet another piece of literature that basically discards the idea of self control. Yes, if you have a keener sense of smell you might be tempted to eat more. But this comes back to my Bingham Girls argument that at the moment seems to be coming out every month.

IF YOU ARE OBESE – GET THIS;
“MY name is Georgie Bingham and if I ate what I want, when I wanted, I would be morbidly obese. EVERYDAY when I get up I make careful choices about what goes into my body and how active I am, to ensure that I maintain a healthy weight, so that I not only look as good as I can, but I am healthier, a hopefully live longer and am a smaller burden on our Health Service. I CHOOSE not to be fat. I choose to fight the temptations that would make me fat and this is an integral part of being a healthy person. Some people really DON’T have to watch what they eat. Lucky them. But if you are obese and imagine that everyone who isn’t obese is like that – think again. Being fat is about a lack of self control, self esteem, or BOTH. Stop eating, get a bit more active and join the rest of us who make conscious decisions every day, many times a day NOT to be obese.”

No comments:

Post a Comment