Bingham Girls!

Bingham Girls!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

ZAR - On my feet all day, but fuelling myself the right way!

When I talk about my daily diet, I mean my diet in terms of my nutritional intake. We all know that diets are no good for you. It's (boringly) about changing your life to embrace new eating habits - the lightbulb moment. When I realised I could never again eat the way I used to I was initially horrified and then as time went on, excited, liberated and empowered.

Most people would consider what I eat on a daily basis very boring. I find it easy to eat similar things everyday, mainly because I really like what I eat but also because I know that it's the right amount for me.

I eat 3 main meals per day and 3 smaller meals/snacks per day approx 2-3 hours apart. Just a quick note, this is not for everyone but it works incredibly well for me.

Porridge (70g rolled oats)
100ml skim milk
1 cup tea

2 small skim lattes

400g fruit
100g low fat yoghurt

Tuna (150g) salad including 1 hard boiled egg
1 piece special mixed grain bread topped with tomato

Weight Watchers soup

Chicken/steak/lamb/pork/fish (approx 200g)
Salad with balsamic dressing

As well as this I have a few basics that I try to stick to
- No soft drinks except the odd diet coke - don't drink your calories
- Restrict alcohol. I'm not a huge drinker so I find this pretty easy. Maybe make a decision not to drink during the week?
- Eating carbs in the first part of the day, if your really want pasta then have it at lunchtime
- Avoid takeaways - you really don't know what's in it. Cook your favourite takeaway at home, if you're craving it and make it healthy
- Avoid processed food where possible. Cook from raw - so much better for you and then you're in control

To be entirely honest, I'm good most of the time. I certainly have my moments (last friday a muffin and a brownie later, I was gutted after having such a good week). But I was really focused and stuck to my daily intake during the time I was losing weight. I find now that I have lost it, I can maintain it without being quite so strict. I still keep it in my mind that I can't go back to the bad habits I used to have.

Luckily, after a while you begin to feel so great, it's not so hard to do. At the beginning you will crave all the things you used to eat because they are probably full of sugar which is very addictive. Remember, stick with it - this is not a diet but a new healthy way of life....never go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment