Bingham Girls!

Bingham Girls!

Thursday, June 3, 2010

GEORGIE - Looking good for summer part 3 - SLAP IT ON!

I spoke briefly about make up in my last installment, I wanted to have a quick word about applying said make up, fake tan and everything that makes you beautiful!!

Watch any tv show, and make up artists will be using a variety of ways to apply foundation and concealer. Sponges (natural or synthetic), brushes, pads - when actually, hands to a great job. Clean dry hands are warm (which helps the make up go further and they can genuinely reach all the contours of our faces. Any make up artist will tell you hands are just as good as any sponge or brush. The reason make up artists don't use them is that is isn't hygienic to be rubbing their hands on face after face and quite frankly, I wouldn't be happy to have someone do that to me unless I knew them really well.
So. Try using your finger tips. Either apply a tiny amount to your four finger tips or blot tiny spots of make up on your face and then rub it in from there. (Remember your chin, neck and earlobes please!!) You can apply concealer and eye shadow base this way too. It blends more naturally (just make sure you wash your hands before and after)

When it comes to powder make up - eye shadows, blusher, powder etc. go out and get yourself a few good brushes. If you can't afford to buy at MAC (they are v expensive and I don't buy from them) then find a cheaper alternative and if it starts losing bristles, get a new one!! The most important thing about brushes is that you keep them clean and fluffy. If I am at home then I hardly wear much more then bronze and blush but I still wash my brushes every fortnight. If I am wearing full war paint I will wash my brushes as often as once a week. First of all it helps with hygene (oily dirty brushes can lead to eye or skin infections) and secondly it helps the product go on better. Washing up liquid or just hand soap will do. (Oh and if you have any friends going to the USA - give them £40 and ask them to buy you brushes at Sephora the make-up superstore - there is no better value!!)

Onto mascara. Oh lord ladies. How many of you have a mascara in your bag that is at least a year old? I used to be one of those... then I got conjunctivitis and that was just a nightmare. Now I change my mascara every 3 months at the LEAST. There are plenty of good brands on the high street that don't cost the earth so please, don't scrimp for the sake of few extra months. You have no idea how many germs you have on your eyelashes that go back into the tub everytime you use your mascara and over time, this can lead to problems. Also, refrain from 'pumping' your mascara brush in the neck of it's container as this dries out your mascara quicker. And please don't do what I used to do and add a little tap water when you're running low... one less glass of wine in the pub = new mascara from Boots!!

Finally while were are on the subject of summer application - just a great tip - to find a summer shimmer 'highligher' for your cheekbones and brow bones. I can't recommend Benefits High Beam enough - here it is on their American website http://www.benefitcosmetics.com/gp/product/B000FBNYRU/sr=1-5/qid=1275578246/ref=sr_1_5/185-6253626-9519152?ie=UTF8&n=164983011&bcBrand=core it can be used really sparingly and I take about 6 months to get through it. Benefit do a 'Moon Beam' which has a yellower tint and I tend to run between the two. If you invest in one summer essential this summer - this is it!! Benefit is available over here in Boots and other good department stores and they really have a few good tricks up their sleeves so try them out! (

Happy days GB x

No comments:

Post a Comment