Bingham Girls!

Bingham Girls!

Thursday, July 22, 2010

ZAR - Yummy...chicken schnitzel the healthy way.

This is very unusual for me. I actually don't enjoy schnitzel because of the frying. Way to much oil for me. However, during this wintertime, I am of course, craving fat and carbs (I don't think I'm alone) and I decided to try and make a healthy version of this Aussie favourite. I served it with a roasted field mushroom and a fresh and crispy coleslaw of cabbage, capsicum, celery, fennel and Spanish onion. It was DELICIOUS!

1 chicken breast (approx 150g) per person
1 egg, beaten per person
Plain flour
Dried breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
Olive oil spray

If you want to make your own dried breadcrumbs just put some bread in a low oven to dry it out and then pulse in a food processor.

Preheat oven to 190 degrees.

Place the chicken breast on a chopping board. Place your hand on the top and using a long, thin knife, horizontally slice the top third of the breast away. Slice the remainder of the breast in half horizontally. You should then have three thin pieces of chicken breast on front of you. Season with salt and pepper.

Put a piece of baking paper on a baking tray and spray with olive oil spray.

Arrange the flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates and the beaten egg in a bowl on the bench.

Coat the chicken pieces in the flour, egg and then the breadcrumbs. Put onto the baking tray and then spray the tops of the chicken with olive oil spray.

Bake in the oven for 15 minutes until light golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment