Bingham Girls!

Bingham Girls!

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

ROSIE - More muscles!

Zar and I bizarrely wrote on quite a similar topic this week but I'm glad because it highlights the importance of resistance training in terms of shaping your body.

Zar gave you the science - I am now giving you a little bit of theory on HOW TO... build those lovely lean looking muscles.

I write this from a woman's perspective; mostly because the majority of my clients have been women, I used to work in a woman's only gym and, of course, because I am a woman. I think (this doesn't necessarily mirror other trainers) that I have more empathy with a woman, appreciate how they work and so work better with them. Of course, as I said, some clients like trainers of the opposite sex, some male trainers only like to work women. Whatever suits whoever.

Of course, any men out there who would like a piece on "bulking up" or strength training, do shout, I can do a mean programme for that too.

So; toning up. There's a few schools of thought on this, of course all trainers believe different training methods should be applied. This is MY way of training. It's not right, it's not wrong, it's just worked for me and the majority of my clients over the years; if it doesn't work for you, keep trying different methods! I'm basing this on someone who has a relatively good base of fitness, no injuries and knows a few different exercises.

I'm applying something called the "FITTA" principle here. Some of you may have heard of it before, it was almost tattooed onto me whilst training to be a PT and can be applied to pretty much all elements of fitness.

FREQUENCY
I would suggest minimum 3 times per week, 4 is good. Do it after your cardio; the reason being that if you knacker your legs out doing lunges, for example, you may jeopardise your running style.

INTENSITY
This is where most people, women especially, get it wrong. IT MUST BE INTENSE. You must get to the end of the set and feel like you could complete NO MORE REPS. However, again, over and over I see people (mostly men, needless to say - sorry guys, egos and all that) doing TOO HEAVY WEIGHTS with a really really bad form. See, I can do a bicep curl with 10 kgs?! Yup - but your swaying like a tree in the breeze, only really using your back and putting your lumbar spine in serious danger. Watch yourself in them mirror, it's not poser-y.

I would suggest 10-12 reps, as I said, of a weight that you feel you couldn't do any more of but can do the whole set with good form. 3-4 sets is fine. Pick 8-10 exercises.

TIME
With regard to the actual movement itself, don't rush it; make sure you do the full movement (i.e straighten your arms all the way, or make sure you knee goes as far as possible down to the floor on a lunge). But don't fall into the trap of doing it too slowly. It should feel like it's keeping moving but not rushing. Don't take breaks in between sets, if you really have to then just 20-30 secs. This type of training should require no more.

TYPE
Again, some trainers would argue this but I do one exercise after the other to the end. So I would do one set of each of the 6 exercises, complete each set, then go back and do them again, until you have finished your sets. This way you will not fatigue specific muscles and need such a break.

Pick two-3 upper body exercises, 2-3 lower body exercises and 2-3 core exercises (I will be posting a blog with some exercise ideas). Preferably opposing muscles.

ADHERENCE
This is key but oh so often forgotten. Sculpting your body TAKES TIME. Don't do them for a week, then get bored and think you're not making a difference. The key with muscles is repetition. This is why I've suggested doing the same exercises for a period of time, say a month. Your muscles need to gain the benefit from the repetitive movements and grow stronger.

Make sure you're doing the exercises PROPERLY. Each rep should be as good as the first. Make sure you change your weight as they get easier; if you don't feel like it's hard, it's not working. You should feel the burn in your muscles, that means their working.


I will repeat and put my life on the line - YOU WILL NOT BULK UP. Refer to my article a few months ago regarding this and yes, I will give you my personal assurance that you will, if you stick to the above, change your body!

No comments:

Post a Comment