Bingham Girls!

Bingham Girls!

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

GEORGIE - Sweat it out for great skin!!

Recently I've been cycling to and from work. It's about 13 miles each way and now I've got a proper triathlon road bike I have the capability to properly exercise once or at least twice a day depending on how much I cadge a lift... It's been a while since I have commuted on two wheels and I had forgotten how tiring but also how exhilarating it can be. For a start I can eat more which regular readers of our blog will know is something I LOVE to do... but the greatest improvement seems to be in my skin. It looks better then it has looked for YEARS!!

I only have one problem area of my face, the hormonal area around the lower lip and chin where so many women get the odd pimple - and that comes and goes regardless of everything and nothing I do right or wrong. But generally I have really good clear skin, and never better then when I get fresh air and have a good sweat. I swear I don't have a single large pore on my face at the moment (unusual I can tell you) and I have rosy cheeks AND my skin is soft as a baby's bottom. So I HIGHLY recommend getting on your bike and getting your heart rate up for better healthier skin!!

Looking into the research done on good and bad skin, there seem to be a number of common elements. Firstly, hormones can play a massive part. Sometimes there is nothing we can do about bad skin. Sometimes what we require is a good dose of hormones (there are quite a few forms of the contraceptive pill that now help skin improve) to help balance things out. I know that when I was on the pill I never had more then the odd bad 'period zit' that comes up once a month where-ever it pleases... and when I came OFF the pill I was like a teenager for a few months. If you have serious skin complaints then a dermatologist is always the right route. I put it off and put it off (which when you work in TV is always a bad thing as bad skin is a complete no no under HD cameras and lights.) and when I DID go, he simply took one look at me, prescribed me a topical and an occasional cream and I haven't had more then the odd zit since. Easy!!

Diet is another important component for having good skin, we all have the odd thing that will affect our skin, for a number of people it is their treats - like chocolate - for me it's high yeast or high sugar foods (mades me red) or alcohol which makes me very ruddy indeed. I don't completely avoid them but I eat minimal amounts of yeast and sugar by avoiding processed foods and alcohol is not an everyday thing so with the treat comes a beaming red face!! Ha ha!! Generally, keep track of your skin. Notice when it flares up, gets dry, gets spotty - either because of something you ate at the time or in digestion the next day. It will help you work out what doesn't work for you.

Looking at other research there are a few pointers for getting better skin, the most important from my point of view is drinking water. Get at least 1 and a half litres down your trap a day. It really does make a different to your skin (and your tiredness, and your bowels and your general clarity and alertness).

Other pointers include the importance of the cleanse tone and moisturise routine which I CANNOT stress enough - I have always had a fastidious skincare regime (being on TV means you wear a TROWEL load of make up everyday) and don't be afraid to cleanse more then once. Odds are, if you cleanse, then cleanse again, you will be a little horrified at how much more dirt comes off your skin. The only thing I will say about cleansing and toning is to avoid any alcohol based products on your skin. Don't ever use a toner that has a dry touch feel to it. Dry skin = ageing skin and we don't want that!! That includes staying away from a number of the baby wipes that have alcohol based products in them. They might get your skin clean but sometimes stripping all the oil out of your face is counter productive. Find a balance. Use water and oil based products and if you aren't sure, just use olive oil! I have and do occasionally!! Whatever you do, get in the routine or making sure you skin is clean before you turn in. I tend to take my make up off the second I get home so that my skin has as much 'breathe' time as it can without the old slap blocking up the pores. I am a Dermalogica girl and I cannot recommend their products enough. You have to go to have your face 'mapped' by a skincare expert and the right products recommended for your skin and it costs about £300 but its the best 300 quid I ever spent.

Finally, there are many things to avoid with your skin. Excesses seem to be the key here. Don't drink or smoke or sunbathe lots. It really is that simple. The reason most Hollywood women look as good as they do isn't only down to good plastic surgeons. Most of them exercise religiously, sleep lots and don't drink or smoke in their battle with their age.

Finally - go get some sleep!! That helps the skin lots. Which is exactly what I am off to do now. (P.S. My dermatologist told me that sleeping on your front doesn't help your skin on your face or chest as it doesn't get as much air and you tend to crumple it with the weight of you body/head - oh dear. I sleep almost entirely on my front...)

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment