Bingham Girls!

Bingham Girls!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

ROSIE - Slash that Supermarket Bill!

So, we may think we're sassy women of the world (is that stereotypical, do men do the weekly shop? Criticise me if I'm wrong!), I certainly do but I read an interesting article in a nameless magazine about supermarket shopping the other day and it REALLY got me thinking.

Our weekly bill is probably our big extravagance; we don't live the high life but we certainly do like good food. Anything under £100 is CHEAP (that's for two of us, plus baby plus dog) which I know is a lot of money. And I don't buy junk food, it's all proper cook from fresh stuff which theoretically should be cheaper...

So this article made me realise the classic mistakes I make, thought I would share them with you and if you're on a budget as well then you may take a few tips with you to Tesco tonight (or any other supermarket of course)...

--> PLAN AHEAD
I always make a list but another good one is to make a list of meals for the week, then you can plan your shopping list around it. The key: stick to that flipping list. Don't think "oh, that looks yummy and it's on offer", chances are it will go to waste if you've not planned to eat it in your menu. Yes, this is my downfall.

--> DITCH THE BIG BRANDS
Most of us are clued up enough to know that in most cases, cheaper supermarket own brands don't necessarily mean lesser quality, in fact in many cases it is the same product but just in a cheaper looking box. However, I'm guessing most of us are still loyal to a couple of big brands. Tests have shown over and over again that in blind taste tests, supermarket brands tasted as good, or in some cases better than big brands. So, ditch your designer food labels and give them a try. Especially for the basics, such as flour and rice, they can be the very best option.

--> SHOP ONLINE
Sometimes I love mosying around the supermarket, sometimes it's my idea of hell. By shopping online not only can you avoided crowded supermarket aisles and trolley injuries, you can also save money. You can miss all that "oooh, that looks yummy, I think I'll try that" which cranks up the bill but also there are fantastic websites such as www.mysupermarket.co.uk which can track how much your shopping would cost at the UK's four major supermarkets. Many supermarkets will also tell you how you can save money by substituting one item for another, because for example the other is on offer.

Just one thing - beware the delivery charge but I reckon I easily save the £4-5 in not actually setting my greedy package loving feet onto the supermarket floor.

--> REDUCED ITEMS
If you do your shop towards evening, watch out for reduced items as the sell buy date on perishables is reached. The reduced to clear shelf can be bulging at 6 pm. Beware the short use by date though although you can always freeze them.
--> LOCAL SHOPPING

Local greengrocers and markets can save you bundles - Mummy Bing is a classic example of a fabulous market shopper. Build up a relationship with a certain stall and they'll give you the best fruit/veg at the best bargains.



--> DISCOUNT SHOPS

Deep discounters such as Aldi, Lidl and Netto have rapidly grown in popularity over the past couple of years. Because they keep their shop overheads low, they can offer lower food prices than the major supermarkets. So they are definitely worth a look if you haven't already become a fan.



--> DITCH THE KIDS

Luckily Jack's not quite old enough to do this yet, but I endlessly see mothers reasoning with children as to why they can't have things. Try and leave them at home if you can. If this is not an option, make a deal - they can have one thing under a certain price and that is it. Or even better - persuade them to help and find things and then they can help you cross them off your list.



--> GO AFTER LUNCH

Never, ever, ever EVER go shopping when you're hungry. A sure fire way to load your trolley with naughties which will make you pay, both wallet-wise and on those hips. Have a snack before you go and remember, stick to the list!



Good luck - let me know if you save any money!

No comments:

Post a Comment