Bingham Girls!

Bingham Girls!

Sunday, September 26, 2010

ROSIE - Beware your insecurities

I read this article the other day and it made me oh so sad....



http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-1310361/Ive-Twiglet-year-old-think-shes-fat-I-going-MY-wobbly-bits.html



This relates a lot to what I wrote a month or so ago about body dismorphia and really made me think about my attitude to my body now that I'm a mother. I really related to what this woman was writing about. Looking from the outside in I instantly thought how sad it was that this poor little girl had such massive insecurities about herself, all learnt from her mother... and for absolutely no need if her mother was a size 10, which is a highly desirable dress size.



Stepping back, I then thought about how I would be with my children. Snap. I know how I am, I know how I bang on about my figure and how I say "do I look enormous in these trousers" rather than "do these trousers look nice?".



Not much more from me to say as I feel shamed about myself - even though I don't have a six year old with hang ups about my figure. I think my lesson is learnt; remember that your children learn EVERYTHING from you and don't miss a trick. They will pick up every comment and grimace about yourself and will copy you because that's the only way they learn, from copying their parents.



For the future - whatever you think about yourself, make it as positive as possible, if not only for your kids' sake but because it may make you feel better about yourself!

No comments:

Post a Comment