Bingham Girls!

Bingham Girls!

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

GEORGIE - RANT WEEK - Studies that make me mad PART I

I recently read of a study from the Monash University in Australia that made me v. mad indeed...it says that fat people don't lack willpower, their brain cells are to blame for their predicament. Researchers found that in some people who ate a high fat diet, their brain cells became insulated from the body, preventing the brain from sending vital signs, such as telling the body to stop eating or to take some exercise. ARGHHH REALLY?? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

Does the brain also stop these people from having the common sense in the first place to eat a healthy diet? Does this mean that getting fat makes you stupid?

I quote from the professor leading the research - : 'Obese people are not necessarily lacking willpower. Their brains do not know how full or how much fat they have stored, so the brain does not tell the body to stop refuelling. Subsequently, their body's ability to lose weight is significantly reduced.'

It is irrational for me to get angry about this kind of research because finding out why some people get obese and other don't is key to fighting it. But NEWSFLASH - EVERYDAY WHEN I CHOOSE WHAT TO PUT IN MY BODY I AM MAKING A CONSCIOUS DECISION NOT TO GET FAT. Simple as that. I struggle EVERYDAY to make the right choice, and when I don't, I put on weight. When I do, I keep it under control. This is where my lack of sympathy lies - I am essentially a fat person who refuses to bow to the amount of food and piggyness my body wants me to indulge in and it's a tough decision but I am proud I manage to control my pig gene. For those unfortunate enough to be obese before they are in control of their own food habits (i.e. children) I am afraid I blame parents, as the feeders and exercisers of their offspring. Is the world going mad or am I just much less tolerant? Am I getting fatist?

Anyone with me? Rant over (for now) I promise.

I got this article here if you want to see it - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1310421/Obese-people-dont-lack-willpower--brain-cells-blame.html#ixzz10CgveRZM

No comments:

Post a Comment