Bingham Girls!

Bingham Girls!

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

ROSIE - Exercising whilst pregnant

I've touched on this before but, obviously being pregnant at the moment, I am looking for any inspiration for me to not STOP exercising. I am finding myself oh-so-tired and really can't be bothered so thought I would do a little blog for all you other lovely pregnant laydees out there!

When pregnant with Jack I was so motivated to keep exercising but with number two it's SO much more difficult! At the moment I am crawling out of bed at 6 am to go to the gym before work and this morning almost didn't make it. So, here's the word on exercising whilst pregnant.

* It's not only safe for most women, it can also provide a number of benefits for the unborn baby. However, due to a number of physiological changes associated with pregnancy and giving birth, you will probably have to adapt your exercise and certain activities should be avoided.
* The benefits of exercising whilst pregnant: it helps the mother cope better with the physical demands of pregnancy, motherhood and labour. It helps build muscle tone, strength & stamina which helps the body cope with pregnancy weight gain (approx 2 stone on average. It can also help reduce constipation and tiredness as well as circulation problems. The fitter the mother physically, the more comfortable and mobile during pregnancy.
* As for after the birth, being a mum is hard work! From lifting and holding your baby to pushing prams and fitting car seats, there are a whole new set of physical demands! Keeping active can also make it easier to regain pre-pregnancy fitness levels after birth and research suggests that exercising whilst pregnant can aid postpartum weight loss.

So, what can you do? The key is not to start anything new. If you have run pre-pregnancy, keep running but don't take it up now. If you do resistance training, keep it up but don't start now. I found the first time round my body really told me what I could and couldn't do. Listening to your body is vital. If you feel light-headed and dizzy, you're doing too much. Keep cardio light and low impact especially towards the end. Abdominals are a no-no after the first trimester. Keep stretching light as you become more supple during pregnancy and risk pulling something.

I think my motivation is this: Paula Radcliffe ran a 10 km race whilst 7 months pregnant. And she did it in a QUICKER time than I could do at my absolute fittest! Paul Radclifffe is obviously exceptional, I wouldn't recommend this to anyone else! But you CAN keep exercising within your own limits and the benefits are HUGE. Keep going mummies!

No comments:

Post a Comment